The Teacher Pathways Experience
Achieve Your Dream. Make a Difference. Become a Teacher.Please note: We will not be having a Pathways Teachers cohort for 2020 and are not currently accepting applications. Check back in fall 2020! View FAQs
From the beginning, you will be a valued full-time faculty member at one of our New Visions Charter High Schools and receive extensive support to enable you to be an effective teacher. Upon completion of the program, you will receive your Master’s in Special Education for grades 7-12 and be recommended for initial state certification.
Why choose the Teacher Pathways program?
When asked about the advantages of choosing the New Visions Pathways program, participants identified:
- Strong summer preparation
- Continuing academic and socio-emotional support
- Excellent mentoring and feedback from residency staff and mentor
- Monthly seminars to learn new teaching strategies
- Being able to engage students in a positive learning environment
Mentoring and Support: During your first year as a Pathways Teacher, you will be assigned an experienced mentor teacher. Your mentor will meet with you at least twice weekly, observe you teaching, and provide you with feedback, strategies, and coaching. In addition to the support of your mentor, you will also benefit from monthly guidance and feedback from a program coach and school administrator.
Graduate Coursework: Over 24 months, you’ll earn a master’s degree in secondary education in your content area from Hunter College, CUNY. The course sequence is designed to align with your teaching experiences and provide the theory and research-based strategies you need to become an effective teacher and meet certification requirements. Many courses will be delivered in an online or blended (both online and in-person) format.
Competitive Financial Package: As a Pathways Teacher, you are hired as a full-time teacher at one of our New Visions Charter High Schools as of the beginning of the program in June, and will receive a salary and comprehensive benefits package. For more information, see an overview of New Visions benefits. Your tuition at Hunter College is paid directly by New Visions and the salary you will receive is equivalent to the normal New Visions salary schedule, minus the annual cost of tuition and program administrative fees. During the program, Pathways teachers are directly responsible for incidental costs such as fingerprinting, certification exams and applications, workshop fees, books, and transportation.
We’re looking for individuals who:
- Are either career-changers or recent college graduates
- Have a Bachelor’s degree conferred by June 2020
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Are NOT currently certified to teach in the U.S.
- Submit official GRE scores and pass at least either part I or part II of the Multi-Subject Content Specialty Tests for 7-12 Special Education prior to admission to the program see NYSTCE site for more detail
- Have a commitment to changing the lives of New York City’s students, especially students from historically under-served populations, and an interest in working in Special Education
- Are willing to commit to intensive summer preparation, coursework, and ongoing professional development for their first two years of teaching
- For more information about academic eligibility, see academic eligibility requirements.
Why join the New Visions network?
New Visions Charter High Schools are public, college-preparatory high schools. Our schools are safe, close-knit, 21st century learning environments that prepare students for success in college, career, and life. New Visions Charter High Schools address the gap in high-quality educational options by establishing schools in under-resourced neighborhoods, with admission through an open lottery. Over the past five years, our network has experienced success in building out pathways for students with diverse needs — including high performers, students with disabilities, English Language Learners, and students reading below grade level. The New Visions Charter Network had a network-wide average graduation rate of 89% in the 2018-2019 school year.
To better understand how our Charter Schools differ from District Schools, click here.
Where Are Our Charter Schools?
Our schools are located in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. This map shows the location of all of our network schools.
You must be willing and able to commute daily to your hiring school. During the admissions process, prospective Pathway Teachers will interview at selected New Visions Charter Schools and must be hired by a school to participate in the Pathways program.