Who We Are
The Teacher Pathways Program, through New Visions for Public Schools, is a 24-month teacher preparation master’s degree program that trains exceptional teachers to work in New Visions Charter High Schools in partnership with Hunter College, CUNY. We provide mentoring, support, graduate coursework, and financial benefits for all Pathways teachers.Join Our Mailing List
Why Choose the Teacher Pathways Program?
We know that not every excellent teacher takes a direct path to the classroom. The Teacher Pathways program was designed to support individuals who don’t currently have a teaching credential to become teachers in our New Visions Charter High Schools.
Every young person needs an advocate, a helping hand and a listening ear along the path to success. At New Visions Charter High Schools, our talented, dedicated Special Education teachers are a cornerstone to providing our students equal access to educational opportunities.
As a Pathways Teacher, you will become an integral part of your students’ success. In the span of two years, we’ll help you to attain your goal of becoming an effective, certified educator. You will benefit from one-on-one support from an experienced mentor teacher, and earn your master’s degree in secondary education for grades 7-12 and your initial state teacher certification.
Mentoring & Support
During your first year as a Pathways Teacher, you will be assigned an experienced mentor teacher. Your mentor will meet with you at least twice weekly, observe you teaching, and provide you with feedback, strategies, and coaching. In addition to the support of your mentor, you will also benefit from monthly guidance and feedback from an assistant principal and program coach.
Over 24 months, you’ll earn a master’s degree in secondary education in your content area from Hunter College, CUNY. The course sequence is designed to align with your teaching experiences and provide the theory and research-based strategies you need to become an effective teacher and meet certification requirements. Many courses will be delivered in an online or blended (both online and in-person) format.
Competitive Financial Package
As a Pathways Teacher, you are hired as a full-time teacher at one of our New Visions Charter High Schools and will receive a salary and comprehensive benefits package. For more information, see an overview of New Visions benefits. Your tuition at Hunter College is paid directly by New Visions and your salary will be equivalent to the normal New Visions salary schedule, minus the annual cost of tuition and program fees.
“The support from the program is what kept me going this year. My coach was always a listening ear, always providing me with tools and ideas for how to teach… my cohort was very important to me too. Without them, I don’t know where I would be.” Cynthia Roach, New Visions program graduate and Special Education teacher at the Academy for Software Engineering
We’re looking for individuals who:
- Are either career-changers or recent college graduates
- Have a Bachelor’s degree conferred by June 2020
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Are NOT currently certified to teach in the U.S.
- Submit official GRE scores and pass at least either part I or part II of the Multi-Subject Content Specialty Tests for 7-12 Special Education prior to admission to the program see NYSTCE site for more detail
- Have a commitment to changing the lives of New York City’s students, especially students from historically under-served populations, and an interest in working in Special Education
- Are willing to commit to intensive summer preparation, coursework, and ongoing professional development for their first two years of teaching
- For more information about academic eligibility, see academic eligibility requirements.