Amazing Body! Inquiry Science and the 5Es Instructional Model
Why do we sweat? Why do we shiver? In this course we will explore questions such as these and other wonders of the human body. Grounded in New Visions’ free Common Core-aligned Living Environment curriculum, this course provides participants with resources that they can use with their students this semester, and into the future.
Through hands-on labs, participants will explore the mechanisms that help human body systems maintain homeostasis and using the data that is collected, teachers will write scientific explanations that align with Common Core Literacy Standards for Science and Technical Subjects. Participants will also discuss their analyses of data, debrief on in-class experiences, learn the theory behind the 5E Instructional Model, practice group learning routines and reflect on how they might use the resources provided with their own students.
As a result of taking this course, teachers will know and be able to do the following:
- Conduct labs that deepen students’ understanding of core human body systems
- Execute group learning routines that are key to maintaining a collaborative and supportive learning environment
- Deepen content knowledge in the areas of homeostasis and thermoregulation
- Navigate New Visions’ curriculum resources and use these resources in their own classrooms
- Attend four 6.5-hour in-person sessions (lunch break included)
- Actively engage in classroom labs, discussions, and other activities
- Provide and receive peer feedback on assignments with enthusiasm and an open mind
- Attend all sessions and participate as an engaged, active listener in class discussions
This class will be taught by
Deborah is Science Chair at the Business of Sports School in Manhattan where she teaches Living Environment and AP Environmental Science. As a member of the Teacher Advisory Board for the New Visions Living Environment curriculum project, she works to improve and disseminate curriculum materials aligned to NYS Regents and Common Core Standards. Deborah is also a Math for America Master Science Teacher, and has facilitated national and local professional development workshops on using group learning routines and the 5E instructional model to teach science.
Academy for Careers in Television & Film
1-50 51st Ave #411
Long Island City, NY 11101
Course Fees & Registration Policies
*New Visions is covering the course fees for educators who work in a New Visions school (charter or district). See our terms & conditions page for further information regarding registering with the DOE for P-credit and other details such as our refund policy.